Friday, December 26, 2014

O. Mandelstam

We, dissembling and posing,
Happily forget to gauge
How in youth we’re even closer
To our death than at old age.

While the child pulls his scorn
From the saucer, full of wrath,
I have none to blame in turn, -
I’m alone on every path.

But I’m no fish and I refuse
To faint away in waters’ flurry,
And I prize the right to choose
All my suffering and worry.

1932

О, как мы любим лицемерить
И забываем без труда
То, что мы в детстве ближе к смерти,
Чем в наши зрелые года.

Еще обиду тянет с блюдца
Невыспавшееся дитя,
А мне уж не на кого дуться
И я один на всех путях.

Но не хочу уснуть, как рыба,
В глубоком обмороке вод,
И дорог мне свободный выбор
Моих страданий и забот.

1932

Visit Russian Poetry in English for more of my translations

No comments:

Post a Comment